Sunday 20 September 2009

Greener grass - Part II

Having travelled through a few systems and traversing a few jump bridges we met up with our allies fleet. It was even bigger than ours, we now numbered around one hundred ships. To my astonishment we were one of several fleets moving to engage the enemy. The enemy in question was an alliance called The Sons of Tangra, and their allies. Not only did we have several fleets of battleships and below, we also had a couple of capital fleets; dozens of dreadnaughts and carriers waiting to be called in. We reached our destination and held position, waiting for the call. Another fleet was already engaging the enemy and apparently they had many more numbers than we at first thought. The intelligence was a little hazy, on the exact numbers. They obviously had the same problem as they were not engaging either. For about an hour it all seemed to be posturing. We moved forward pressuring them and they responded, so we withdrew. They did a similar thing, and nothing really happened. Then we got word that a fleet had engaged, they were outnumbered and losing badly. We were the closest fleet so we were sent to reinforce them. It was only nine jumps away but by the time we got there the enemy fleet had disappeared leaving only wrecks behind. Dozens and dozens of wrecks, both friendly and not. It seemed that the enemy choose this time to have an all out attack, several fleets engaged but the fighting was a stalemate, neither side gaining ground. We missed another fight, but caught a few of the rearguard, a Deimos and a couple of interceptors. Then the order was given to withdraw. My first fleet battle had been something of an anticlimax.


The next couple of weeks were rather quiet. Annoyingly I managed to miss about four fleet ops, but I did manage to get on a couple. That kept things lively and I also tested out a new ship type: the destroyer. These ships are equipped with eight weapon slots and excel at taking out frigate sized ships. I was having fun with it and the few mock battles in which I had tested it, it had performed admirably. I bloodied it for the first time during a gate camp. A Manticore landed next to me and I immediatly trained the Catalyst's many guns on it. It melted and I got some nice loot out of it. Shortly after I lost my first destroyer. A friendly Vagabond was being attacked by three enemy ships, a couple of hundred km of the gate. Two of them were frigate class ships, ideal for my destroyer. I fleeted up with him and initiated warp. Just as I got into warp about eight more ships landed next to the vagabond. Unfortunately they were enemy ships. There was nothing I could do accept watch my ship land right in the midst of the enemy ships. I was obliterated, along with the Vagabond.

I had also discovered the delights of hidden complexes. These hidden places had to be scanned out using probes, but could hold very valuable treasure. Teaming up with a few mates I did my first few, and made quite a pretty penny. Unfortunately, I didn't have a big enough ship to do these on my own so for now I will have to share the spoils. Because of said 'plexes and ratting, I was finally making enough money in null sec to once again move up a ship class. With great glee I purchased my first battlecruiser. A delightfully vicious ship called a Brutix. With this new toy I could finally do a few of the lower level 'plexes on my own. This would open up many doors for me as I would be able to be a lot more independent, and would significantly increase my ISK flow.


I hadn't flown a frigate for a while so I jumped in my old reliable Tristan and took it for a spin. It was initially rather dull as I found now viable targets. I had to escape a couple of gate camps, but that was about the only excitement I had. Then I reached a system brimming with enemies. I couldn't isolate any of them though and was just about to give up and leave when one of them offered me a 1 V 1. I was delighted and agreed. I warped to the pre-arranged point and met his Jaguar head on. An tech II assault frigate versus my tech I frigate. This was going to be tough. His guns hurt, but apparently so did mine. I burned through his shields with consummate ease, his armour was more of a challenge. I was forced to overheat almost every module on my ship to keep up with the damage he was dishing out on me, and to try and finish him off before he got me. It was an intense fight, one if the best I have ever had, but unfortunately I lost. But only just. The Jaguar was in structure when my ship died, so I think my little frigate made a good showing.

I made my move to null-sec and I love it.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent mate! Great to hear you're having a blaste mayn!

    ReplyDelete